Sun is the major source of heat on our Earth. When the Sun’s radiations fall on the Earth, the Earth absorbs these radiations. After absorbing these radiations, the Earth reflects some heat to the atmosphere. As we know that there are lots of gasses in our atmosphere. Some gasses like Methane, Oxides of Nitrogen and Carbon Dioxide trap the reflected heat of the Earth. As a result, the temperature of the Earth becomes warmer. This phenomenon is known as the greenhouse effect.
What Are Greenhouse Gasses?
The gasses which become the cause of the greenhouse effect are known as greenhouse gasses. These greenhouse gasses are produced either by natural resources or anthropogenic sources. These greenhouse gasses have lots of influence on the energy balance of the Earth. There are three major greenhouse gasses. First is known as Carbon Dioxide. Second is known as Methane. Thirdly are the Oxides of Nitrogen. No doubt, these gasses have a very low concentration in the atmosphere but nowadays, their concentration in the atmosphere is increasing due to some human activities.
You may also like:
Difference between metals and non-metals
You may also like:
Difference between metals and non-metals
What is the origin of the term greenhouse effect?
The scientists have discovered the greenhouse effect interestingly. The scientists decided to calculate the temperature of the Earth on the basis of the incoming radiations of the Sun and reflected radiations of the Earth. After making these calculations, they were amazed to know that the Earth should be much colder. After that, they decided to discover this phenomenon. They were able to get an idea that it is due to the holding and trapping of some energy in the Earth’s atmosphere by the greenhouse gasses. In 1896, the scientists further discovered that if the amount of greenhouse gasses will increase in the Earth’s atmosphere, the temperature of the Earth will also be increased.
Advantages of the Greenhouse Effect
You will be amazed to know that the greenhouse effect is one of the most important phenomena that are helpful for the sustaining of life on our Earth. Some major advantages of the greenhouse effect are given below;
1) The greenhouse effect is helpful for us to maintain a certain level of temperature on our Earth’s surface. After maintaining a certain level of temperature on our Earth, this planet has become habitable for living things like human beings, plants and animals etc.
2) The sun’s light reaches our Earth in the form of radiations. The Sun’s light has some harmful radiations. If these harmful radiations reach to our Earth’s surface, these radiations can become the cause of lots of destruction. The greenhouse gasses work like a filter and they work as a block against these harmful radiations of the Sun. As a result, harmful radiations of the Sun don’t reach to our Earth’s atmosphere.
3) Ozone is also known as one of the most crucial greenhouse gasses. This gas is present in the form of the layer above our Earth’s atmosphere. The main benefit of this Ozone layer is that it prevents the UV rays of the sun from reaching to our Earth’s atmosphere. In the absence of the Ozone layer, these UV rays of the sun will reach the Earth’s surface and these rays will affect our Earth’s life at a massive scale.
4) The greenhouse effect is also helpful for our planet to maintain the water level. Due to the moderate temperature on our Earth, the ice is not melted completely.
Disadvantages of the greenhouse effect
Nowadays, we are observing some critical changes in the atmosphere of our Earth. These changes are occurring due to the greenhouse effect. Some disadvantages of the greenhouse effect are given below;
1) Global warming is the major bad effect of the greenhouse effect on our Earth’s surface. Its reason is that due to some anthropogenic (man-made) sources, the concentration of the greenhouse gasses is increasing in Earth’s atmosphere. As a result, these greenhouse gasses are trapping more and more heat and our Earth’s temperature is increasing day by day. Due to this increase in the Earth’s atmosphere, the ice in the Polar Regions is also melting and this can become the cause of lots of destructions.
2) As we have discussed earlier that the concentration of the greenhouse gasses is increasing in the Earth’s atmosphere. The increased concentration level of CO2 has two effects on our Earth’s atmosphere. First of all, this gas is affecting marine life. Secondly, this gas is also disrupting the photosynthesis process in the plants.
3) Due to the greenhouse effect, the water level is also rising. This is also becoming a danger for millions of lives.
What is the solution of the greenhouse effect?
CO2 is known as the major source of the greenhouse effect and global warming. We are raising the level of CO2 in our atmosphere by burning fossil fuels. The only solution to the greenhouse effect is that we should reduce the emission of greenhouse gasses. Some essential tips to reduce the emission of greenhouse gasses in our atmosphere are given below;
1) We should follow the 3R strategy. 3R strategy means that we should reduce, reuse and recycle the things.
2) We should drive less and drive smartly. This is the best technique to reduce the emission of gasoline.
3) We should buy energy-efficient appliances. These energy-efficient appliances will save the consumption of energy.
4) We should use less hot water for bathing and washing the clothes. This is the best technique to save the addition of hundreds of pounds CO2 in the Earth’s atmosphere.
5) We should plant lots of trees. These trees absorb the CO2 and they give off Oxygen in the atmosphere. It is expected that if you plant a tree, it will absorb almost 1 ton of CO2 during its life.
6) We should also try to encourage others to follow energy conservation rules. This is possible only if we are following the energy conservation rules.
What will happen if there is no greenhouse effect?
If we are studying the greenhouse effect or we are observing the greenhouse effect, a question comes to our mind that ‘What will happen if there is no greenhouse effect?’. The main benefit of the greenhouse effect is that it is moderating our Earth’s temperature. If there are no greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere, the heat will not be trapped in our Earth’s atmosphere. As a result, the temperature of our Earth’s surface will be fallen to -18 C. It means that without the greenhouse effect, the life on our Earth will be frozen.